Friday, August 8, 2008

A quick blurb on two books I read on the overseas flight,

'"Better Off", Flipping The Switch On Technology' & 'St. Seraphim of Sarov'

Here is what I concluded from Eric Brende and his book on technology: I need to exercise a constantly careful and quiet contemplation of life and who is in control, me or the tool I am welding and to insure that the technological tools at my disposal do not obscure, distract or hinder me from realizing the subtle magnificence and quiet beauty of God's creation and the image of His holy trinitarian nature which permeates and is reflected in everything around me. Basically, either the tool needs to be brought under dominion as God intended or it needs to be abandoned for something basic, brawny and fleshy; something that brings me closer to the earth, the plants, and the animals and ultimately to my Creator.

"St. Seraphim of Sarov", is about a Russian priest/monk who lived during the late 1700's into the early 1800's. I stand in awe of a man, a true Saint, who fulfilled and epitomized all that is revealed to us in the Holy Gospels of what Jesus taught and accomplished. St. Seraphim was living proof of the actualization of our Lord's statement, "Greater things shall you do, than even me, because when I leave you, I will send the Holy Spirit to you". You'll have to read the book, if you want to know more about this amazing saint.

No comments: