Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Leaving For Mt. Athos In The Morning!


Day 9: It is Tuesday morning and the sun is shining on the little village of Ouranoupolis. I woke before daybreak and enjoyed a grapefruit and a banana on my balcony which looks out, not on the sea but on the only church in the village, which is ironic because this entire trip has been focused on the Church, the life of Christ and life in Christ. I am on a pilgrimage and as a pilgrim, I am seeking to draw closer to God through exposure to an ancient and material world of holy places and things and holy men which I hope will facilitate a deeper, more intense journey into a non-material and spiritual world where God, the almighty and merciful dwells in light unapproachable. Yet, how can a mere mortal enter into the domain of the glorious, intensely burning, uncreated light without being consumed? My observation is most likely worthless, so I will be content to commend you and myself to the Church Fathers for insight on this question. Meanwhile, I do hope this pilgrimage will equip and inspire me to better love my family, my friends and my neighbors with the beautiful and life changing love of Jesus Christ.

The village is beginning to awake as the sun is peeping above the mountains of Athos, which lies just to the east of Ouranoupolis. The village bakery, next store to my pension already has it shelves stocked high with freshly baked breads of all shapes and sizes. The son of the baker takes a break from helping his father in the back of the store to sell me a small raisin loaf. As I exit the hot, humid atmosphere of the bakery, to enjoy the cool, sea air laced with salt, I walk the short distance to one of the many beachfront cafes to enjoy a greek style frappe which I leisurely sip as I contemplate what it will be like, after leaving this quaint village life to return to America.

I again check in with the Office of the Executive of the Holy Mountain of Athos and they tell me, my visa will be ready tomorrow morning. After obtaining my visa, I will board a taxi boat for the twenty minute ride to the monastery of Xenophontos, where for six days, I will be graciously hosted by Athonite monks. After my six day stay on the holy mountain, I will take a bus back to Thessaloniki, where I will catch a plane to Warsaw, then a train to Kalisz, where I will meet my family, which will have all gathered together for my youngest son's wedding ceremony and celebration.

As for today, when not enjoying fresh bread from bakery next door or especially tasty, local fruit and vegetables from the produce stand which is next to the bakery, I will spend the day reading and contemplating the writings of St. Silouan The Athonite.

No comments: