Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Bittersweet Bus Tour


Day Five:
Fearing for a repeat episode of missing my means of transportation, I woke up every hour on the hour throughout the night until I could take the suspense no longer, dragging myself out of bed at 445am. I was instructed to be at the designated pick up location at 6am and I made it with plenty of time to spare. After having spent the past four days walking myself into a state of near collapse and heat exhaustion, I was basking in the luxury of spending the day on an air conditioned bus occupying the first row, where I could enjoy a panoramic view of the ancient, arid scenery throughout our thirteen hours of travel and sightseeing. What a glorious day this was going to be; I just knew it! 

We were scheduled to visit Nazareth, the city of Christ's childhood and the place from which he was driven, because his neighbors just couldn't accept that He could be the messiah. As we traveled into and out of Nazareth, we observed, Mt. Tabor, the place where the transfiguration of Christ took place. Traveling north, we drove through Cana, the city of Christ's first miracle, then crossing the Valley of Armegeddon, where the battle to end all battles will take place, ushering in the end of the world. From there, it was on to the Sea of Galilee to visit the site where Christ healed the Mother-in-Law of the Apostle Peter, and in the same area, was the hillside where Christ preached the Beatitudes, and then, it was onto the site where the five loaves and two fish fed thousands. 

Before heading back to Jerusalem, we stopped at a Lebanese restaurant for lunch where I enjoyed a wonderful smorgasbord of vegetarian delights stuffed into pita bread. Last but not least, at our final bathroom stop of the day, I eyed an Arab offering camel rides for 20 shekles; so, with newly acquired, seasoned tourist, negotiating skills, I talked the camel driver down to 10 shekles for an enjoyable first time camel ride around the parking lot of our rest stop. Times like this are when I wish I hadn't lost my camera!

As I contemplate the day, it is absolutely mind boggling to consider how much sacred history took place on such a small area of the earth. My only regret of the day, was not getting to spend enough time venerating all of the holy sites packed into these rolling, rocky hills, mountains and sea shores. All in all, it was an absolutely wonderful day and I can't help thinking, I will return someday, with my family in tow.

No comments: