Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I Have Now Proudly Graduated To The Level Of A Seasoned Tourist

The Church of Mary Magdalene



Day Four:

...except for one problem; I lost my camera within a week of purchasing it. But, you know that really isn't a problem anymore in today's modern world of computers, for I can put together a complete photo album of my trip to the Holy Land simply by using, Google's image search engine. You may be asking yourself, "Why would I be proud to be a seasoned tourist?". Well, I will tell you why. I didn't get ripped off even one time today by a taxi cab drive, a professional tourist guide or a struggling gift shop owner. 

Today was also a very special day. Why? Because, I visited the "Church of the Ascension" which is a Russian Orthodox Convent. The convent is built on the site where Christ ascended into heaven and there is also a chapel on the grounds which is built over the burial site of, St. John The Baptist. The Convent is located in the middle of an Arab neighborhood on the Mount of Olives and in order to get into the place, you have to ring a bell, which is mounted to a large steel door, which is hinged to a thick and high stone wall. The doorkeeper was an Arab who, I think lived in a little room next to the gate and it seemed that his only job was let in visitors, either through the big gate for cars or the little gate for people.

The grounds consist of about twenty stony acres of olive tree groves, grave sites, housing for monks and nuns, numerous chapels, a church built on the site of Christ's ascension and a very, very, tall bell tower, which can be seen from all over Jerusalem. As I entered the gate, I began walking through a long garden courtyard, towards the large church marking the site at which Christ ascended. The church was closed due to renovations, so I continued to stroll around the grounds until I came upon a spry, elderly monk who was sweeping pine needles off the dirt ground. As he looked up at me from a distance, he spoke in Russian and when I answered in English, he promptly switched gears, speaking English and told me he was from Pennsylvania. As we talked, I learned that he had spent twenty-two years on Mt Athos before being evicted from the Russian monastery by the present Patriarchate of Constantinople and that he had been in Jerusalem for the past twelve years. Before going to Mt. Athos, he had served with the St. John the Wonderworker in San Fransisco. After engaging for sometime in conversation, I offered to help him with his sweeping chore of which he was delighted to share with me. The task of cleaning the courtyard area was supposed to take him until lunch but since we finished early, he took time to show me where I could pick ripe figs from a tree just outside his cell. He then invited me into his cell where he offered me some kind of cactus fruit which was delicious as well. After feeding me a snack to last until lunch, he showed me around his cell and then unexpectedly gave me an icon of St. Seraphim. He generosity was overwhelming! This was most interesting because I had just finished reading a book about St. Seraphim on the flight over, I had just venerated St. Seraphim and his relics in the convent chapel and Father Seraphim was the name of the hiermonk offering me this precious gift. I had a strong sense that I should contemplate more on the teachings and life of St. Seraphim. Father Seraphim also had many words of wisdom to share with me as we worked. After having lunch with the nuns and monks at the convent I headed for my next destination, "The Tomb of the Great Prophets", which was in a cave, amongst thousands of grave sites located on the side of the Mount of Olives. Here I met yet another godly monk from France who was living at the other Russian Convent on Mount Olives. We sat at the entrance of the tomb of the prophet, Haggai and talked for about an hour. He had many precious words of wisdom to share with me and afterwards gave me a tour. Upon parting, he extended to me, an invitation to celebrate divine liturgy early Thursday morning at the, "Church of Mary Magdalene", which is one of the most beautiful churches in Jerusalem crowned with multiple, bright and glorious golden onion domes. As I walked back to my hostel, contemplating the events of the day, it seemed as though I had spent the day in the company of a host of heavenly angels, surrounded by God's mercy, grace and favor, all of which, I most of all, did not deserve. God is so good.

No comments: