Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another Day At The Mary Magdalene Church

Icon of Mary Magdalene "Equal To The Apostles"

The Mary Magdalene Church (Mount of Olives)

Miracleworking Icon of The Mother of God "Hodigitria" (Click on title section to read the story behind this icon).


Day 6:
I was so taken in by the beauty and history of the Saint Mary Magdalene Church and its' sacred art and icons, that I decided to spend my last day participating in the morning (Matins) and evening (Vespers) worship services. Since this was the day before the feast day of the Dormition of Mary, I showed up at the empty tomb of the Mother of God (which is also at the Mount of Olives), very early in the morning to venerate this holy site and only the caretakers, a nun and monk were there, which made for a blessedly, peaceful and mystical experience. The tomb is located in a large cave which is accessed by going down about 50 steps, and is adorned with ancient lampatas, icons and artifacts.

I also visited the prison where Barabas and Christ were kept and the home and burial site of Yoakim and Anna, the parents of the Theotokos. Both of these sites are within the walls of the ancient city. If you haven't read the story of Yoakim and Anna, I would encourage you to do so.

This was my last day in Jerusalem and there is so much more I could have seen while here, which means I will have to come back someday. When I scheduled my airport shuttle, they told me I had to be at the pick up spot at 245am, which made for a very long day, so I took a nap from about 11pm to 1am and then enjoyed a beer and a falafal on Zion's Square which is a very popular shopping and eating area with young people. At 1am, it was still bustling with sidewalk musicians on every corner, playing for change.

There are so many stories I am leaving out of this blog which I wish I could share with you, which have all contributed to making this pilgrimage the most memorable trip I have ever made and it isn't even half over yet! Tomorrow, I will be flying to Thessaloniki.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

G,

I agree, to see the sites that are in the Bible would really add to one's reading and understanding of the terms and places. We're getting ready for the big wedding in Poland...10 days from now we leave.

P