Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Foolishness Of Man

Excerpts from the writings of Ephraim, the great light of the Syrian Church of the fourth century.

Who is more foolish than men, who rather than for himself cares for his dwelling! 

The garments that are in his closet he examines daily, and a worm is lurking in his body. 

The tears that are in his clothes, he mends, but a tear is made in his soul. 

His house is lit up but his soul is dark. 

He shuts up his senses but opens his windows.

He closes his door and guards his money; his mouth is open and the treasure of his thought is stolen. 

The fool makes more of his animals than himself, for he cares for his possessions rather than his own soul. 

Good seed he sows in his ground; in his heart he sows tares.

His understanding is thrown open and cast down; but at the fences of his vineyard he labors.

He chooses and plants vine plants; while his mind is a vine of the vines of Sodom.

He keeps off the wild ass from his sowing; but the wild boar of the woods devours his thoughts.

By closing men's eyes I teach the signs of the Zodiac, though they are not in the heavens.

The Evil One said, "I fear Him, even Jesus, lest He destroy my arts. For lo! I am thousands of years old, and never have I had repose. I have seen nothing established, that I have not turned from and left. There has come one making the unchaste pure; there is sorrow since He has destroyed all that I have built. Many have been my labors and my teachings, that I might cover all creation with all evils. 

Blessed is He who came and laid bare the wiles of the Crafty One!



No comments: